Friday, July 26

This is Going to be Long... (aka: The First Part of July)

July has been insane!  I mean, I knew it would be.
Still, July has seriously (and sadly) gone by in a flash.
Being a teacher, I wish and hope that my summer vacation is long, relaxing, enjoyable, and just...perfect.
Then, in the middle of January, during a snowstorm, while I have recess duty, and the biting wind is blowing right through my coat, and the kids are mad because I took them away from their Christmas celebrations and are taking it out on me by refusing to learn or do anything, I can daydream about my perfect summer vacation where I swung on the metaphorical hammock while I drunk a refreshing and delicious fruit smoothie.  My flawless body, perfect for bikini weather, with absolutely no stretch marks whatsoever, allowed the sun to bronze me from head to toe, resembling a Greek goddess, my gorgeous locks (NOT covered in baby boogers) flowing in the gentle summer(non-Wyoming) breeze.  I never have to worry about skin cancer because, well, this is a fantasy, where reality does not exist.   There's also Hawaiian music in the background. 
Unfortunately,  my summer hasn't resembled that in the least bit.  Sure, there have been days where I watched the kids destroy the house, and I've done absolutely nothing to stop/pick up after them.  I'm not sure I would call those days 'relaxing', though...
So, since my month has been a tad hectic, I'm just going to jot down EVERYTHING that has basically happened so far in July and then move on to shorter posts when things have calmed down. 

Obviously, July 4th we celebrated July 4th...
It was kind of low key, due to T being on call that whole weekend.  It kinda stunk because he had a four day weekend, and we could have had gone someplace and done something outside of town, which would have been my preference...
It was still ok.  We did the typical things, we went to the parade.  I had to practically pick the candy up for JW because he's not an aggressive kid and didn't want to fight his way to the candy... He chose his outfit, so he melted a little bit. He spent a lot of the parade sitting in this chair, which is not ours.  Hopefully, the owner wasn't too peeved...
 Richie had a good time, I think.  He was his basic, happy, smiley self.  He actually loved the noises and the commotion.  He just stared and stared at the hoopla.

In the evening, we went to our friends parent's house and had the perfect view to watch the fireworks.  I know I always say this, but the fourth of July is sooo much better here, in my small town, than Phoenix.  The weather is cool and perfect.  People are obsessed with lighting fireworks, and as a result, there were mini firework shows all around us.  It truly does make me feel more ... patriotic.
 
Earlier in the month, T's sister, Laney came with her four kids for two weeks to take part in our town's swimming classes.  JW was going to take some, too.
JW LOVES Laney's kids.  He really loves kids older than himself because those kids aren't as rough with him.  Plus, Laney's kids are, well, they're just good, gentle kids.
As much as JW loved having them here, it was a learning situation for him, too.  JW, being the first-born and his little brother is just a baby how doesn't care 95% of the time about toys or having things, JW gets free reign on pretty much everything in the house.
Yes, we try to teach him the value of sharing or not being mean, or not 'accidentally' knocking babies off the couch, but there is only so much I can do when your baby doesn't care.
Having these kids here made JW HAVE to share his stuff, which was a difficult lesson to learn, and valuable, too if only for two weeks. 
Overall, though, he had a great time.  He really loves being around kids.  He also really loves being with or around anyone that aren't his parents, that's neither here nor there.

This last school year I decided to do something pretty crazy.
I decided to get my National Boards in Education.
For those of you in education, you're thinking, "WOW!! Good for you!  Good luck (because you're going to need it)!"
 For those of you not in education, you might be thinking, "What is that?  It doesn't sound so bad." 
I don't really know how to explain it, so I won't.  All you need to know, it is hard.  Many people have said it is harder then getting your Master's. 
So, while Laney was at our house with mine and her kids, I went to Laramie to do a workshop to get a running start with this three year process.
It was very overwhelming, and now, I am terrified.  I know it will help me be a better teacher, but I still feel like I'm way in over my head.  Did I also mention I'm going full-time next year?  I really hope this process gives me some good insight on how to be a better teacher.  I feel like I could use some guidance in that arena.

Later in the month (July 19th, to be exact) T's brother, Jake got married in the Brigham City Temple.
Amber looked positively glowing throughout the entire ceremony. 
Now, I've been to a few wedding ceremonies in my day (I'm an oldie now, I can say that).  And during that ceremony, every bride looked so beautiful, so serene, so calm, so... happy.  I don't quite understand that because when I got married,
I. was. terrified.
 I was so scared, I don't remember one word.  I remember everyone was staring at me and T, and my grandpa, who happened to be the one performing the ceremony kept talking to us.  I remember I felt like the room was closing in on me.  I remember T had to coach me when I had to say something.  Maybe you're thinking, "Sure, you were scared on the inside, but on the outside, you probably looked beautiful."  Nope. There were a few people, including T, who told me later how scared I looked.

Anyway, both of them looked so happy, and not scared at all. 
Doesn't she look absolutely gorgeous??
My kids, probably me too, are so acclimated to Wyoming weather.
Poor JW started to melt while waiting for the bride and groom to come out.
We had to bribe him with ice cream as we took the obligatory family pictures.  He was so hot, he kept finding other peoples' water bottles and trying to drink out of them.
After the ceremony, we had to make a quick run to Wal-Mart. 
Afterwards, we went to a park nearby and had a family-style picnic.
It was a memorable day, and I wish them as much happiness as they can handle!
There is more to document about July, but that will have to be at a later time.  Besides, I've already written too much!

No comments: