Monday, August 18

A New Start


This week, we have been working on getting setttled into our new apartment. Finally, a place we can call our own! It's kinda weird because for the duration of our marriage so far, we've lived in places we could not call ours. For the Spring semester, we were living in T's brother's camper. I've written about it before, but needless to say, it truly was an adventure. Then this summer, we lived with T's brother in Logan, which was also an adventure. I speak for both T and I; we are ready for a our own place, at least technically anyway.

It was previously my brother and his wife's condo, but they recently moved away. Which means...we inherit it! We don't mind it being a hand-me-down. The rent is totally cheaper, and we need every penny this semester. I'm student teaching, which means I will not have the time to have a job. Poor T!


It has been kind of fun, getting everything into the place. The camper was so small, we couldn't have all the wedding gifts in there. Most of the stuff people gave us have been sitting at my parent's house, collecting dust, for the past few months. We finally have a place to put it all! Now, it is a matter of making this place our home.


I've never been very good with decorating, so I could use a few ideas...We have this hideous couch we can't seem to get rid of because it is some sort of ugly family heirloom. That, and we can't afford another one. How does one hide the ugly nature of a couch? Please help me! Also, how do you decorate small spaces along with larger ones?

9 comments:

Casey and Brynn said...

Couch covers are wonderful! You can get them at Target or even Walmart. Also, to decorate small spaces it is nice to hang little shelves on the wall, and you can put nick nacks on them..so they are hanging instead of taking up counter space. We have lived in an apartment our whole marriage, so I have some experience with these things:)

Anonymous said...

Couch problem is easy - go to Target and get a couch cover. Brian and I recently did the same with ours. They are between $40-$70 dollars. If you don't see anything you like there, you can always throw a quilt or blanket over the top and add a few throw pillows. As for the small space with a large space - just keep moving things around until you like them. I would say paint - but you may not be able to.

Glad you finally got a place of your own. I have lived with family off and on and there really is nothing like being in your own place. Congrats!

Melissa said...

I feel your ugly couch pain! Our couches are a sweet floral pring, ugh! I bought couch covers on clearance at Smith's Marketplace, or Fred Myer and they do the trick. I've also heard of using sheets as couch covers.

Trish said...

Try to find a cover that fits it. If that doesn't work, get a really big quilt and put that over it and tuck it in so it stays covered when someone sits down on it.

Alisa said...

Hey! Of course I remember you!Don't worry, I blog stalk too. Sorry, I didn't notice that you had left a comment on my blog until just now! Your apartment is fantastic! I love it. Thanks, for the website about the blog backgrounds, we'll definitely have to look into it. I'm never satisfied with having the same background all the time.

KS said...

Hey! I love couch covers, they work GREAT! They make old couches look like new! Anyways an FYI I changed my blog site cause I didn't to go private, so here is my new address http://kerropi21travels.blogspot.com/
Good to see that y'all are doing so good!

ThePalmers said...

Hey Jackie-
I just found your blog from Tricia's... How exciting!! Anyway, it was good to see you this weekend. I meant to find you to catch up, but the time got away from me. Atleast now I can see what you are up to from your blog! Well- you looked GREAT! So, I see many have given you the couch cover idea, but we have two (one for a big couch, one for a loveseat) from Bed, Bath, and Beyond that are pretty cute that we are not using and you could have. They are a dark tan, with cream lining (you would have to see them). If you want a picture to see if they will work for you, I have some from when we used them and I can email them to you. We live in North Mesa if you want them. Email me if you are interested- amberf22@gmail.com
Love ya, Amber

Stacie Aho said...

Hey Jackie! Your blog is so cute. Good thing you're getting started now because once you have babies, you'll need to blog a lot :)

I love that picture of your husband in your pants. So funny. Merritt and I could share clothes too, although that's just too much for him. Haha. He wouldn't be caught in women's clothes!

Couch covers- yes! Sometimes you can find really nice ones on sale... so if you don't mind being patient- look around. TJMAx, Ross, Tuesday Morning... use a coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond... We had one in our first apartment. Thank goodness!

Steven and Chelsea said...

we have an ugly couch too. we bought our slip cover on ebay for like $30. Pick a simple color scheme and use it to decorate. Hang pictures if you can and spackle the holes later. It's better than having blank walls :)