Thursday, May 24

Last Day of School

Today was the last day of school.
It came all too soon.
Sure, I had some leave-the-room-count-to-ten kids in my class,
and yes, there were kids I shamelessly complained about for hours with my co-workers.
But even those kids, the kids you want to drop kick sometimes, I'm going to miss,
because they each brought something to my class.  Something I can't quite pinpoint.
I'm gonna miss them telling me about their weekend.
I'm gonna miss them telling me jokes.
I'm gonna miss them surprising me with their insight and talent.
I'm just gonna miss them.
Today, I noticed some teachers (and students) getting pretty teary-eyed as the day came to a close.
(Not me, even pregnant me, was never real big on the open displays of emotion.)
But, I am sad.
But, I am also glad that I live in a community where the teachers openly weep as their students leave for the last time. 
This is a good place to be.
On a happier note, I'm also glad that I won't be coming back to school full-time!
The impending birth of this little babe has left me scared to death I couldn't handle it.
So, I'm not going to!
I will be team-teaching with another 4th grade teacher.
Yay for cutting back!

No comments: