Tuesday, August 25

To All Those (Childless) People Up at 3 AM This Morning



You know those times in the middle of the night or early morning when you're temporarily half awake, either resituating yourself or checking the clock to make sure you're not sleeping in (please tell me I'm not the only one who does the last one)? I was experiencing one of those moments during the night, when all of a sudden I thought I felt a bug crawling on my arm. This isn't an unusual occurrence for me; as usual I sat up and shook off the bug (in my half coherent state) and laid back down. Typically, these bugs I feel in the middle of the night are imaginary, so I didn't see the need to go find/kill the bug.

Upon laying down, however, I felt the same feeling on my neck. This is NOT usual. I sat straight up, starting freaking out (of course) and grabbing at my neck. Surprisingly, T woke up (when he's asleep, he is REALLY asleep, and is impossible to wake). He sat straight up too, and alarmingly asked what was wrong. I told him about the bug feeling, and a few seconds I realized all I did was tell him about the bug. I never actually saw it, and (more importantly) killed it.

I turned over our blanket, and there it was! The most disgusting (they're uglier at night) black cockroach! T and I HATE cockroaches. When/If T and I ever move away from Phoenix it will be because of the cockroaches. We have vowed (along with our marriage vows) we will never move to a place with cockroaches.

T, being my knight in shining armor, jumped out of bed and attempted to kill it. This one was a wiry sucker! It took him a good 3 minutes to mortally wound it. We had learned a few months back, the reason for these occasional demons is their talent for climbing out of our drains. We also learned the best way to prevent this was by pouring bleach down the drains. So, at 3 AM this morning, I spent a good ten minutes pouring a half gallon of bleach down all of our drains. Sure, our apartment smells like beach, but it's better than the alternative.

T and I had some serious trouble getting back to sleep after that. We were both pretty shook up. Needless to say, at work I was TI-RED! I hope some of my teaching made at least some sense. Even now, replaying it in my head makes my skin crawl. I guess this can be chalked up to practice waking up in the middle of the night for when the baby comes...I just wish this practice was more pleasant...

6 comments:

Summer said...

OOH sick! That is one of THE WORST feelings in the world!

Trish said...

Woah, great bug story! I have one too! Check it out soon!

Melissa said...

I have been having such vivid dreams several times a week about bugs in bed with me. I wake up screaming and run out of the room only to find no bug. I don't know what I'd do if there really WAS a bug in bed!

Sarah & Andrew said...

On your neck?! Are you kidding??? Gross!

Nat said...

That is so disgusting. I'm creeping out.

KS said...

You know that else works really good for drains that you don't use very much is Ajax (the blue powder) cleanser around the drain, it keeps them from crawling out.