Wednesday, July 29

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. ~ Socrates




I am officially back in school. I feel like I did when I was going to school. I couldn't wait to get out and enjoy my summer! Now, the novelty of being out of school has worn off, I've become bored, and I'm ready to go back to school. I think one of the reasons I became a teacher is because of that new feeling you get when school is starting. Everything is bright, new, and untainted.

Today we had this thing called 'Walk Around the Neighborhood'. It's where the teachers go out in the neighborhood, and hang door hangers around notifying people school is starting next week. We were doing this at around 7:15 AM because that time of day is NOT AS HOT as it would be later on (it was still very hot, let me tell you!).

Yesterday, I was thinking about what I should wear for this outing. I thought, 'I need to look professional and presentable', so I wore a skirt and my sensible work shoes. I thought everyone else would probably wear the same kind of things. I get there, and to my surprise, everyone was wearing shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, hats, and sunglasses. I realized, what everyone else is wearing make so much more sense! It's hot outside, we're going to be walking, and I should be comfortable.

While everyone was walking around, I thought, 'Why would I instinctively choose those clothes and presume everyone would do the same?' It hit me. For a spilt second, I had reverted back to being a missionary!

We were going to be walking around, talking to people, sometimes knocking on doors, and trying to offer valuable information to anyone who would hear. The only other time I've ever done those things at the same, I was wearing a skirt and sensible, yet professional-looking shoes. I was a missionary.

While we were walking around various apartment complexes, I began to notice how excited I was getting. All these memories started to come back to me, and in a weird way, I kind of missed it. I'm glad I got to relive some good old days for a short time at least.

I'm teaching 5th grade this year! I'm nervous and excited. I also feel VERY overwhelmed. I never realized there was so much to do! On the bright side of things, the days have gone by VERY fast because I'm busy, busy, busy...

4 comments:

Trish said...

Wow, your school year starts early! Have a great time though, Mrs. Isom.

Melissa said...

Good luck with your kids this year! Happy back to school time!

Sarah & Andrew said...

I feel the same way! I just went back to set up my classroom today and the anticipation of starting things up again set in. If you need any help, let me know :)

peachytiffers said...

I'm so glad that you watched and commented on the video! No one had mentioned anything and I was starting to feel guilty and wondering if I was a freak or something!! Crazy stuff, huh?! Thanks again, for making me feel a little more sane!