Tuesday, August 5

Where has the time gone?

The other day, I got the opportunity to visit one of my friends in Pocatello. She and I were in a group of 7 that went together to Russia to teach English in 2004. It was so fun to see her! She has a beautiful new baby, a cute little house, a devoted fiance, and steady career. She is doing so great. Later, I started thinking about what the entire group was doing now. Some went on church missions, some got married or engaged, and some now have children. Some are living in foreign countries, some are planning on living in foreign countries down the road, and others are just fine where they are. I started thinking about how far we've all come and the different directions we have gone. In a way, its scary because we have all changed so much, and expect only more changes to come. In another way, however, it is very exciting. We are all in the beginning stages of our adult lives. We are going to experience life in different ways. We are going to create our lives how we want them. I then came to the conclusion everyone is at the beginning of some stage in their lives. I have realized this combination of fear and excitement never really goes away. All people are at the beginning of something. Whether it is being a new homeowner, an empty nester, a parent, a grandparent, the cycle continues. There is always something to look foward to. I of course, look forward to the next big stages in my life, graduating from college, getting a 'real' job, having a family, owning a house, etc. However, I find myself looking forward instead of enjoying the moment. My mom always says she wishes she slowed down a bit; allowing the anticipation of the next big thing not take over.
Time moves so fast; it is important not to let it pass you by. Hopefully, I take my own advice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie! What a cute post. I think I took that picture and thats why I'm not in it. Dang - thats to bad too because you all look so darn cute. I am so jealous you got to visit Melissa. In response to your post - all I've learned is you can't expect any plans to go the way YOU'VE planned them - and thats ok because when God is steering your life - only great things will happen. I love you and miss you! Thanks for the memories!

Melissa said...

I agree that was a great post! It was so good to see you and to meet T. I'm so happy you guys are doing so great. I really hope we can all/mostly all get together sometime. I think about our time in Russia so much it's pathetic! I hope school is going great for you. Take care and call/stop by if you get a chance.