Thursday, January 28

One Month

I can't believe I've been doing this mothering thing for one month already. The time seems to fly when looking back, but stand still in the day to day. He's changing so fast, it's hard to keep up!

Characteristics of our one month old:

He is starting to focus better on objects. You can hold a toy in front of him, and he will follow it with his eyes.

He is getting really good at controlling his head. I will hold him over my shoulder, and he can keep his head up (when he's in the mood) for a good 5-6 seconds. He can also turn his head from side to side.

He smiles and laughs in his sleep. It's so cute! I wonder what he's dreaming about that's so funny!

When he's hungry, get out of his way! He HATES waiting for food. He's still eating every 2-4 hours, but he's eating more. He's probably gone from eating 1-2 oz to 3-5 oz. According to his weight, he is certainly not starving! He went from 7 lbs. 11 oz his last checkup (2 weeks ago) to 9 lbs. 5 oz!

He is still sleeping a lot, around 15-18 hours a day. We've been trying to keep him awake during the day, so he'll sleep better at night; it's a slow process.

He likes the sound of rushing water. He is 100% quiet/hardly moving when I take him into the bathroom to watch him while I shower. One way to calm him down is to take him into the kitchen and turn on the faucet, T learned that one a few weeks ago.

He's a pretty relaxed baby. As long as he's not hungry, tired, wet, or smelly, he's could care less what's happening around him. A lot of times, he'll just lay there, like he's trying to absorb as much information as possible.

Stats:

Height: 21" (25-50%)
Weight: 9 lbs. 5 oz. (50%)
Head: 15" (50%)

According to these stats, he's normal!

Though he takes a lot of work, we love having him around! Baby J helps us remember what's important in life... He such a sweet little baby, and we sure do love our little man. I'm looking forward to seeing his personality as the weeks/months go by.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Ahhhh Jackie he is so cute... I am bummed I missed the shower.

Trish said...

They sure grow fast! I feel like I need to be taking more pictures...but alas I lost my camera. Hopefully it turns up soon! Nick spent a good amount on that Christmas present. It's kind of amazing that your kid will sleep happily in his carseat. When I put Parker in his carseat he throws a fit! He sleeps on his boppie usually (to keep him propped up). He'll be 2 months next week and he's already over 13 pounds! Crazy huh?

Anonymous said...

Man I am sorry he's not sleeping through the night...Addie did the same thing for like 2 months. A lot of times she was up twice every hour- it was rediculous to say the least. As far as the carseat sleeping goes- whatever works! Addie slept in the bouncer and swing until just recently! I didn't care as long as I was able to get sleep.

That's great with the running water- try getting a white noise maker that has a "rain/water" setting to put next to him at night. Adelyn will still calm down sometimes if we get the faucet going. He sure is getting big- seems like he was much smaller with that last picture with the tiger! Such a cute little guy :) P.s i love what you did with the collage a the top- do you have a program that lets you do that?

Steven and Chelsea said...

Happy 1 month anniversary of being parents!! Baby J sure is cute!

Melissa said...

I LOVE the pictures! He is ADORABLE! I'm glad you guys are doing good. They are so much fun. Just remember to take it slow and enjoy even the rough nights. Soon he'll think he's so grown up he doesn't need you anymore, like Carter is now, and it will make your heart heavy!